Charles Keyser, Jr.
Charles Keyser, Jr. was the eldest son of Charles Keyser. He lived and died opposite the mouth of the Hawksbill Creek and was buried in the old Keyser Graveyard. [Adam Strickler, "Mead Relations".] An unhewn grave stone in the Keyser Cemetery in Page Co., Va. gives the year of birth for Charles Keyser, Jr. as 1752, and 1799 as the year of his death. [Mead Relations.] Sutherland gives his year of death as 1796. The name of his mother and the place of his birth are unconfirmed.
Charles Keyser, Jr. (along with his brother Joseph) was a member of Michael Reader's Company of Dunmore County Militia in 1775 and was probably a participant in the 1774 conflict between the Colony of Virginia and the Shawnee and Mingo American Indian nations known as Dunmore's War. The war ended soon after Virginia's victory in the Battle of Point Pleasant on October 10, 1774, and was the last conflict of America's Colonial Era.
In 1776, Charles, Jr. married and started a family. According to Jack Keyser, Charles, Jr. and his wife, Elizabeth Baker, had nine children. Adam Strickler [Mead Relations] mentions two, and E. J. Sutherland gives the seven names listed below, however confusion surrounds this family due to an epidemic in 1796 in which several of the children died.
When his father died in 1778 without a will, Charles, Jr. was granted administration of Charles Keyser's estate.
"At a Court held for the County of Shanando the 28th Day of August 1778 This Inventory and appraisement of the Estate of Charles Kyser Deceased was Returned and ordered to be Recorded
Thomas Marshall, C.S.C."
"Charles Kizer (Jr.) was granted administration of the estate and gave bond in the sum of £1,000 on the 28 May 1778, with Frederick Commer and John Hastins as sureties, Keyser and Commer signed the bond in German."
Charles, Jr. inherited his father's homestead and lived in the old Michael Rinehart Fort Home that was originally on the land when his father bought it. His brother, Andrew, lived in the Charles Keyser Fort Home that their father built in 1765.
“Charles Keyser, Jr., and Elizabeth, his wife, by deed of 9 Dec 1790, recorded in deed book “I” page 265, conveyed unto Andrew Keyser a parcel of fifty-seven acres of land in Shenandoah County, Va., on the north side of the South Branch of the Shenandoah River, described as part of land conveyed to Charles Keyser, deceased, by Lewis Rhinehart, Mathias Rhinehart and Elizabeth, his wife, by deeds of lease and release dated the 6th and 7th days of April, 1765, and recorded in Frederick County, Va. The conveyance recites that Charles Keyser, deceased, dying intestate, the land descended to his eldest son, Charles Keyser.” [Mead Relations.]
Charles Keyser, Jr. died unexpectedly of Yellow Fever before 12 Sep 1796. He and four of his children, who also died of Yellow Fever, are buried in the old Keyser Cemetery. After his death, his wife, Elizabeth, and their sons David and Joseph went west and settled in Ohio, and it is thought that the sons took the old German Bibles listed in Charles Keyser, Sr.'s Estate Inventory with them. In 1808 they deeded the rest of their part of the Keyser property to Andrew Keyser, who then owned all the property that his father had originally purchased.
“On September 1, 1808, ‘Elizabeth Kyser widow and relict of Charles Keyser, deceased, Joseph Kyser, one of the sons and heirs of the said Charles Kyser decd and Katy, his wife, Peggy Kyser and Mary Kyser, daughters and heirs of Charles Kyser dec’d’ deeded to Andrew Kyser two tracts of land (50 acres and 25 acres) on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River, ‘formerly patented to Joseph Kyser and David Kyser.’” [E. J. Sutherland, Shenandoah Co. Deed Book T 292 & 366.]